Monday, May 10, 2010

The "Wrong" Notes.

Hi guys.

I've been really busy for the past few weeks. Trust me, there is plenty I would love to write and share to the public, but I've been dead busy with work and studies at the same time. It is that period of time that the university decides to go on a full-assignment spree.

I had it easy, compared to some of my university/course-mates. They have quizzes, tests and stuff piled up on the same week or so. The weight for mine is seperated into different weeks, so I had enough time to finish up whatever I needed to.

Then again, they had enough time to complete their stuff, unless if..

*Stares at blog header*

.. I'll keep that for mglacius.blogspot.com some time around.

Anyway! I was watching Victor Wooten's Groove Workshop DVD, for at least an hour, and it's great to watch versatile musicians like him. And finally, a workshop/clinic that he shares what he thinks, instead of techniques, and how you're supposed to play something.

He puts his studies and what he has learnt in metaphors that you would understand.

95% of the time, we're always worried about notes, scales, melodies, harmonies, and whatever it is.

But with the most recent jam that I still find it hard to believe (that also made me pause and watch the video in slow motion), is that Victor Wooten was solo-ing with the "wrong" notes.

Now if they were the wrong notes, why are they the "wrong" notes? Are they even "wrong", in any way?

The scenario was simple. The jam was based on a simple 3 chord progression that's in the key of Gm. We all understand that the 7 notes that we use to stay safe would be G, A, Bb, C, D, D#, F and back to G again.

I got that right, right?

Guess what notes Victor Wooten was solo-ing in?

G#, B, C#, E and F#.

The 5 "wrong" notes that is definitely in contrast of any conventional Gm scale.

After the first part of the solo, he went back into the Gm scale and solo'ed there instead.

Believe my words as you read this. The solo that he played with the 5 notes, sounded better than the solo he played in the Gm scale.











Of course, that's just the 1st hour of his geniusly created DVD.

I'll write again when I have more time.

If you find that an odd thing, and if you think that the 5 notes should not be used and is fairly impossible, drop the Lydian, mixolydian, dorian, docrian, phyrigian modes then.

Victor Wooten also abused the chromatic scale in a way that I never knew that chromatics actually made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment